“INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS SUMMARY & THINGS THAT HELP”
This is how I approach an interstitial cystitis (IC) patient and some approaches that have consistently helped reduced pain and discomfort in these complex patients.
– I take a history of each decade .
– Antibiotics – chronic infections with frequent antibiotic use several times per year Infections – ear, throat, sinuses, bronchitis, bladder, vaginal or stomach.
– Stomach problems – irritable bowel, gas, bloating, pain, constipation, diarrhea
– Birth control pill use – increases sex hormone binding globulin, can reduce free testosterone and effect vaginal pain
– Menopausal or post menopause hormone status – vaginal dryness, painful intercourse, urinary incontinence – check for low DHEA, estrogen, testosterone
– Trauma to that vaginal or bladder area (i.e. bicycling, horseback riding, sex, etc.)
Cravings for – sweets, alcohol, coffee, dairy foods, cheese, bread products, spicy foods
THINGS THAT HELP
– Food Elimination – Eat from BED Diet List and…
– Eliminate known aggravating foods – coffee/tea, spicy foods, alcohol, baked goods, dairy, wheat, sugar, alcohol, citrus, etc. or any foods you know that aggravate symptoms for at at least one month
– Supplements – vitamin C
TREAT THE GUT
– Antibiotics if specific bacterial overgrowth is found and culture and sensitivity done
– Antifungal treatment (or for intestinal bacterial overgrowth or parasites) – anti-fungal medicines (Fluconazole,
– Antiparasite medications if parasite identified
– Digestive aids some times
– Food elimination
– Herbs/botanicals like caprylic acid, berberine, plant tannins, uva ursi unless known to aggravate symptoms.
Testosterone / estriol perivaginally or vaginally in a “natural base” cream DHEA orally, topically or perivaginally if low
– Probiotics – Culturelle 1-2/d
– Vitamin A – 2500-5000 IU/d
– Vitamin D – 2000-5000 IU/d
– Zinc 20-40 mg/d
– Food Allergy Screen (IgG/IGE) – sometimes use, not often (BED – Diet List is main food intolerance approach)
– Salivary Hormones (Labrix or ZRT Labs) Estrogen, Progesterone, DHEA, Testosterone
– Serum vitamins D & A and zinc levels
– Stool exams (Genova and/or Doctors Data)
Call Kirk for BRIEF medical or health questions at (916) 489-4400 8-9 A.M. PST Monday through Friday at Health Associates Medical Group where he sees patients daily.
Prescription 2000 Inc.- A health education company committed to the prevention and reversal of chronic diseases by lifestyle.
Kirk Hamilton’s Websites: KirksPowerAging.com Prescription2014.com
Sign up for my FREE Newsletter – Kirk’s PowerAging Tips
Purchase Kirk’s book “Staying Healthy in the Fast Lane”
(U.S.), (Foreign), (Mexico – Canada)
Kirks 21 Day PowerAging Program for Business Travelers (E-Book and Course)
Kirk Hamilton Author Facebook
Staying Healthy Tools (Products and Services)
Prescription 2000 Animal-Free Dietary Supplements – 4 basic dietary supplements (Multivitamin/Mineral, Bone Support and Glucosamine Powder and Capsules) that are manufactured with no animal products in the processing or in the starting materials.
Kirk Hamilton’s CV: